Museum at Peršman`s
Since 1942, the Sadovnik family’s mountain farm Peršman was an important base of the resistance movement which originated from Yugoslavia and had thereafter spread all over Carinthia. On 25th April, 1945, shortly before the end of the war, members of the SS and the police regiment 13 committed a massacre at Peršmanhof: eleven members of families Sadovnik and Kogoj were shot. This crime was not forgotten and had since become a strong part of Carinthia-Slovenes’ collective memory as a symbol for suffering under the reign of Nazism.
In 1965, the Association of Carinthian partisans arranged a placement of a memorial plaque on Sadovnik family’s former home. In 1982, the association began an initiative to establish a small museum at the Peršman farm, devoted to portraying the history of persecution and resistance. A year later, a monument commemorating the partisan movement was placed in front of the museum. The monument was originally located in Völkermarkt|Velikovec, but was blown up by unknown perpetrators in 1953.
In 2012, following an initiative of the Peršman Association, Peršman farm was turned into the modernised museum of modern history that we know today. The 100 m² exhibition space now allows visitors to learn about persecution and resistance of the Carinthian Slovenes, with particular references to Peršman family, the massacre of the family and the judicial history of the crime.
The whole exhibition is bilingual, meaning all information is available in both provincial languages (German and Slovene). In close collaboration with the Peršman Association, the Association of Carinthian Partisans is responsible for operating the museum.